[CPEO-BIF] Schwarzenegger vetoes bill to compile California vapor intrusion list

Lenny Siegel lsiegel at cpeo.org
Tue Oct 3 15:38:08 PDT 2006

On September 29, 2006, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed
Assembly Bill 2092, which would have required Cal-EPA to compile and
maintain a list of sites with known or potential vapor intrusion
problems. The bill, authorized by Berkeley Assemblywoman Loni Hancock,
passed both houses of the California legislation, but it was opposed by
redevelopment agencies, the California Center for Land Recycling, and
other development interests.

Schwarzenegger wrote:

To the Members of the California State Assembly:

I am returning Assembly Bill 2092 without my signature.

Brownfield sites can pose a threat to public health and the environment.
I have strongly supported prior brownfield legislation and initiated
administrative efforts to expand and improve brownfield site cleanups
including AB 389 in 2004. Under my Administration, the California
Environmental Protection Agency, State Water Resources Control Board,
Regional Water Quality Control Boards and Department of Toxic Substances
Control have signed a Memorandum of Agreement to improve coordination of
regulatory activities at these site.

This bill is unnecessary and may inadvertently stigmatize a site,
delaying clean up and reuse. This bill assumes that vapor intrusion is a
major undetected and unaddressed problem. Although vapor intrusion has
been a problem at some specific sites, there are already effective
measures to address this issue. The current site characterization and
cleanup processes address all possible exposure pathways, including
human health risk from vapor intrusion.

Additional, this bill does not provide for the removal of sites from the
summary list once it has been cleaned up or determined not to pose a
public health risk. As a result, the bill is likely to result in
unnecessary public concern and could result in sites not being cleaned
up in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

Arnold Schwarzenegger

--