[CPEO-MEF] REUSE: Oakland considers former Army Base for homeless

Lenny Siegel LSiegel at cpeo.org
Mon May 9 11:47:30 PDT 2022

Oakland considers new 1,000-person homeless shelter
City Council votes to consider homeless shelter at former Army base

By MARISA KENDALL
Bay Area News Group
May 4, 2022

Acknowledging a desperate need for new interventions to address the area’s homelessness crisis, the Oakland City Council will consider building a new shelter for 1,000 unhoused people on the site of the city’s old Army base.

The City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to direct staff to research the idea and report back next month on its feasibility and projected cost. The 22-acre parcel near the city’s waterfront is one of the last large, undeveloped pieces of publicly owned land in the city, presenting a rare opportunity to build a large-scale project, according to Councilmember Carroll Fife, who introduced the resolution.

“I’m tired of being told what can’t happen when it comes to addressing some of my district’s greatest challenges,” she said in a statement. “(District three) constituents, housed and unhoused, deserve better. We spend millions of dollars in maintaining people living on the streets. A creative, proactive effort could redirect those dollars if there was the political will to do so.”

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/05/04/oakland-considers-new-1000-person-homeless-shelte

—