[CPEO-BIF] Re-Visiting the Morris Canal area, Jersey City, NJ

Lenny Siegel lsiegel at cpeo.org
Wed Sep 27 10:19:00 PDT 2006

[For a formatted version of this report, with photos, download the 352
kB Word file from http:www.cpeo.org/pubs/MorrisCanal.doc.]

Morris Canal Area, Jersey City, New Jersey
Lenny Siegel
June, 2006

On June 9, 2006, I re-visited the Morris Canal area in Jersey City, New
Jersey, and met with June Jones-Hawkins, leader of the Morris Canal
Redevelopment Area Community Development Corporation (MCRACDC). I first
visited the area in 2002 as part of joint research project on local
government and Brownfields, in which CPEO worked with the International
City/County Management Association. In 2004 CPEO teamed with the city of
Jersey City to hold a workshop on "Community-Led Brownfields Revitalization.

The Morris Canal area, also known as the Lafayette neighborhood, is just
outside Liberty State Park. The multi-racial neighborhood is home to
many families that have lived there for generations. Part of the area is
industrial. Other sections are mixed industrial, commercial, and
residential. Like much of Jersey City, most of the developable property
suffers from some type of soil contamination.

The MCRACDC began ten years ago as a neighborhood coalition. Jersey City
actually wrote the organization into its redevelopment plan, and it
incorporated as a Community Development Corporation in 1999. When Jersey
City first won a Brownfields Pilot Assessment Grant from EPA, it
promised a comprehensive program of community involvement. When it
reportedly failed to live up to those promises, EPA threatened to pull
the grant.

Though some in Jersey City's government only saw the community
organization as an oversight group, neighborhood leaders have always
wanted more. They wanted to develop their own projects, and they wanted
concessions such as a affordable housing set-asides to help counter
gentrification in an area becoming more and more desirable due to its
proximity to New York City's financial district, just across the Hudson
River.

When I first met Lafayette neighborhood leaders, I was skeptical. After
all, they seemed to lack development expertise, and they definitely
lacked capital. However, the strong turnout by and long attention span
of local residents - at meetings I attended in both 2002 and 2004 -
convinced me that they had the ingredients of success. With the support
of some key local officials, they persisted, and they are close to
breaking ground on three projects.

As I understand it, MCRACDC is scheduled to receive two properties that
have been, or are being acquired, by the Jersey City Redevelopment
Agency. In cooperation with Landmark Developers, a private, locally
based firm, it plans to build 39 affordable homes on those two
properties. In addition, Landmark will clean and develop another,
higher-value property, adjacent to a light rail station, with both
housing and retail space. Landmark has promised to share its profits
from that site with MCRACDC, to set aside a significant fraction of the
units as affordable, and give the community the option of setting up a
children's day care center on the property.

The three projects have not yet been built, and the community has
encountered unexpected roadblocks before. Nevertheless, it appears that
a clear vision and hard work will pay off for the MCRACDC.

--
Lenny Siegel
Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545