[CPEO-BIF] Subsidies

Bruce-Sean Reshen reshen at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 27 07:20:27 PDT 2006

Peter,

You acknowledge that "additional appropriations depend on demonstrated
effectiveness in utilization of current funds; increased accountability
can lead directly to future expansion of public funding for the
reclamation of contaminated lands."  But it is also not a viable
strategy to create more risk for the developer by setting up a system of
clawbacks.  Thus, the only methodology that works in a practical, common
sense way is to sufficiently educate public agencies to utilize more
rational criteria in the original granting of the subsidies.  We are not
speaking of maximizing utility, equating marginal rates or finding the
theoretical point where the second derivative is zero.  This theoretical
nonsense is not meaningful in this context (or perhaps any other
context).  This will not work as an optimizing process.  What public
agencies must do is to having sound real estate and land use expertise.
They must have awareness of what is occurring in both the real estate
and financial markets.  They must bring objectivity to their
decision-making criteria.  They must be accountable for their decisions.

Note that our research may be more appropriately focused on the
decision-making process of public agencies as opposed to the decisions
made by developers.

Bruce-Sean Reshen
p. 203-259-1850
c. 917-757-5925