[CPEO-BIF] Subsidies

Robert Paterson rgfp at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 26 12:26:26 PDT 2006

One possible model that I'm not entirely happy with but yet might still hold
out some promise for adaptable frameworks to award subsidies is the LEEDs
certification system.

While I have problems with their attention to social justice issues and the
weighting system, it does suggest, assuming one can clearly demarcate
desired social, economic and environmental objectives, a way to allow
flexibility as well as some accountability when subsidies are applied to
brownfields. Not unlike Austin Smart Growth point system that provided
greater subsidies to developers as they meet more smart growth objectives...

So perhaps Federal, State and Local brownfield partners might craft score
cards that address desired objectives and subsidies correspond to silver,
gold and platinum projects? Well not those terms, but something like that
which reflects an ordinal ranking...

2 more cents to fuel the fire...

Cheers

Bob

Robert G. Paterson
Associate Professor
Co-Director, Center for Sustainable Development
1 University Station B7500
School of Architecture
The University of Texas
Austin TX 78712-1160
512-471-0734
Fax 512-471-0716
rgfp at mail.utexas.edu

Whatever befalls the earth
Befalls the sons and daughters
Of the earth.
We did not weave the web of life;
We are merely a strand in it.
Whatever we do to the web.
We do it to ourselves.
 -Chief Seattle (1788-1866)
Native American (Suquamish leader)

use of the individual or entity named above.

Distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you received
this communication in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at
the number above, and destroy the message.

Thank you.