[CPEO-BIF] Petoskey Pointe (MI) tax credit debate

Robert Paterson rgfp at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 25 07:02:26 PDT 2006

I don't think we disagree here, IMO based on economic development incentive
programs across the US, not much "calculation" has gone into "packages" and
in many cases (e.g., public stadia for example for private use) almost no
serious B/C analysis with any sophistication is done at all....societal
opportunity costs are real but often not recognized in any meaningful way as
incentive packages are assembled. Not all brownfield sites need substantial
public subsidy, and some get too much, which does translate into greater
private profit at public expense (that subsidy might be better used for
other social, economic and environmental programs elsewhere in the community
with a greater societal return on investment), the question is how do we do
a better job of assigning incentive packages where they are most needed?  If
others on the list are involved in such packaging, it would be interesting
to hear what they have to say about "qualifying" sites for incentives (e.g.,
property tax abatements, TIF financing etc.,) and examples of where the
package was not enough or too much? In their opinion....

Kind regards

Bob

Robert G. Paterson
Associate Professor
Co-Director, Center for Sustainable Development
1 University Station B7500
School of Architecture
The University of Texas
Austin TX 78712-1160