[CPEO-BIF] Subsidies

Lenny Siegel lsiegel at cpeo.org
Wed Oct 25 09:23:07 PDT 2006

Long before I ever heard the word Brownfields, I worked with community
groups around the Southwestern U.S. challenging the way that their local
government were offering subsidies to high-tech companies to locate in
their communities.

We argued that it is possible to attract investment by investing public
resources in education, infrastructure, housing, and even environmental
protection. Companies that have a choice where to locate need those
investments, not only because they directly benefit, but because they
need to recruit employees from a global workforce, and those potential
employees look at the qualify of life in areas where they might move.

While direct funding or tax abatement may indeed be useful, it should be
viewed within the context of a full range of public investments designed
to promote economic development. The advantage of spending money on
education, infrastructure, housing, and even environmental protection is
that it benefits existing residents, too.

Lenny

--
Lenny Siegel
Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545